Skip to the content

Income Tax Obligations Critical to Agricultural Workers

"INCOME TAX" rubber stamp leaning against pile of paperwork

Agricultural workers, in particular those who are here on an H-2A visa, often face complicated income tax issues. LAWO’s Low-Income Taxpayer Clinic provides vital information to these workers. In October LAWO staff presented income tax information to twenty H-2A workers in Erie County. The tax presentation focused on providing information to these workers about their tax obligations and income tax basics. An LAWO attorney answered such questions as do I have to file a federal income tax return, how do I determine if I meet the substantial presence test, am I eligible to claim dependents to lower my taxes, can I claim the child tax credit, can I claim the earned income tax credit, what should I do if I made a mistake on my tax return, what should I do if I receive a letter from the IRS, do I have to pay social security and Medicare taxes, what should I look for in a tax preparer, what are ITINs and should I get one? These are just some of the frequently asked questions we receive from workers who travel to the U.S. with a visa to harvest fruits and vegetables every year in our state.

About the author

Legal Aid of Western Ohio, Inc.

Legal Aid of Western Ohio, Inc.

Legal Aid of Western Ohio, Inc. (LAWO) is a non-profit regional law firm that provide high quality legal assistance in civil matters to help eligible low-income individuals and groups in western Ohio achieve self reliance, and equal justice and economic opportunity.